Dryer Repair vs. Replacement
Are you having problems with your dryer? At North Town Home Services, we understand that your dryer is an expensive investment and you won’t want to replace it unless it’s absolutely necessary. When it stops working as it should, we are here to help you determine if it can be repaired and if it can, to provide you with a cost-effective, efficient solution to get it running once more. Keep reading to find out if you need to repair or replace your dryer—or call us at 847-999-4600 to inspect your unit in the Chicago area!
Repair or Replace Dryer: The Warning Signs
There are a few things to look for to determine if you need a replacement or if a repair will be sufficient.
- Life expectancy – the National Association of Home Builders estimates that the average dryer will last around 13 years. If yours is younger than that but experiencing issues, it will likely be more cost-effective to get a repair.
- Previous performance – have you had issues with your dryer before? If your dryer has a record of good performance with relatively few previous problems, it is probably worth fixing. However, if you’ve needed frequent repairs in the past and are still experiencing difficulties, a replacement may be the more cost-effective solution.
- Nature of the issue – sometimes the problem isn’t with the equipment at all. Your appliance could shut down if you’ve tripped a circuit breaker, for example.
- Cost – the median cost of a dryer repair is much less than that of a replacement. However, if you have an older unit, an energy-efficient replacement may save you on your monthly energy bills—so you’ll need to see if the monthly savings will outweigh the initial installation expense.
- Warranty coverage – if your dryer is no longer covered under warranty, it may be time for a replacement.
Common Dryer Problems
We typically recommend seeking dryer repair for the following problems:
- Loud noises
- Lack of heat
- Excessive heat
- Drum that won’t spin
- Dryer that won’t turn on
Keep in mind that although repairs will often fix the above issues, there are exceptions to the rule. if you are experiencing the above problems with an older unit that is over 13-years-old, a replacement is likely your best bet.
Reliable Dryer Service in Chicagoland
If you’re still not sure whether you should repair or replace your dryer, the professionals at North Town Home Services can help you get to the root of the problem. Our experienced, factory-trained technicians can inspect your dryer to diagnose the issue and provide you with an effective solution. We have been providing washer and dryer repair and maintenance to Chicagoland homes since 1927, servicing units of all makes and models.