When you’re caught without heating in the dead of a Northern Illinois winter, the first thing on your mind is probably a swift repair! But, repair might not be your best option. When is it time to seek a repair, and when is replacement the better option? The specialists at North Town Home Services bring you the answers to these questions, and more!
If you need heating and cooling services in the Chicago area that are quick, effective and second to none, contact an expert at North Town Home Services today!
Signs That You Need Heating Service
Before we can go in-depth about situational needs, it’s important to understand the warning signs of a heating system in distress. Your furnace needs service if:
- Your heating bills are fluctuating. Sharp, sudden increases in heating costs are most often attributed to a furnace or other heating system acting up.
- You are hearing unusual noises. The normal sounds your system makes are essentially white noise, fading into the background without notice. So a clank, bang, squeal or whistle is pretty easy to pick out. Each sound carries different implications, but all of them are a sign you need service!
- Your heating is uneven, or weak. If you’re just not getting the quality of heat you want, there’s almost definitely an issue. It could be as simple as a needed filter change (which is an easy fix, so be sure to check!), but it could also be something considerably more insidious.
- You heat isn’t working. If your heat isn’t kicking on, you don’t need us to tell you there’s a problem! We mention it mostly because you should ensure your settings haven’t been changed, and that your system is in the ‘heat’ position. It’s a small thing to miss, but it happens.
- Your thermostat is inaccurate. If the monitor says seventy, but you’re feeling more of a fifty, give us a call!
When Is a Furnace Replacement the Better Option?
- Are your repair needs becoming too frequent? Repair every now and then should be expected, but if it’s becoming an annual ritual, it’s time to seek replacement.
- Is your heating system old? The average lifespan of a heating system is around fifteen to twenty years, if it has been well cared for. But past the ten year mark (or even less), it’s a good idea to consider replacement. As a system ages, repair needs will become greater, and efficiency will drop drastically. This makes a replacement prudent both functionally, and financially!
- Are major components failing? Many parts in a heating system can be simply repaired, but certain parts, if damaged, might necessitate a replacement (heat exchangers, for one).
Still unsure of whether repair or replacement is your best option? You can trust our team to bring you the answers you’re looking for!
HVAC Repair & Replacement in Chicagoland
We understand HVAC repair can be inconvenient, which is why we strive to offer high-quality service at affordable prices. When you need heating system repair or replacement, contact North Town Home Services today!