Refrigerators are an appliance that every homeowner carefully plans for when furnishing their home. The best refrigerator brands can last for 10 years or more with routine maintenance, but not everyone catches the warning signs before it’s too late. It can be disastrous if the refrigerator in your home goes out—spoiled food, leakage, water damage, and electrical hazards.
But how do you know when you should begin shopping for a new refrigerator? If your refrigerator is less than 10 years old, odds are you simply need a repair rather than an entirely new unit.
The trusted appliance repair professionals at North Town Home Services have been servicing Chicago since 1927. Give us a call at (847) 999-4600 for refrigerator repair today!
Signs Your Refrigerator Is On Its Last Legs:
- Strange Noises – Persisting noticeable noise can be caused by motor or fan problems.
- Leakage – Dripping or pooling water underneath the unit may be caused by a cooling issue, damaged pipes/tubing, or loose water connection attachments.
- Odor – Strange odors coming from your unit may be caused by a blockage or leak. If left unattended, this can lead to mold or mildew growth.
- Spoiling Food – Generally this is due to a temperature regulation issue, or improper temperature settings.
- Extreme Condensation – Excessive condensation accumulation can indicate a number of problems such as damaged rubber seals around the doors or a temperature regulation issue.
- Irregular Temperature – If you notice that the motor is running hot, consult a technician to have your coils inspected. If the freezer is icing, consider defrosting it and monitor it once it is plugged back in.
- High Electricity Use – Spikes in energy usage indicate that your appliance may no longer be energy efficient.
Care for Your Fridge with Regular Maintenance
Regular appliance maintenance is the key to avoiding costly repairs or the disaster of a failing refrigerator. You can play a large part in keeping your refrigerator in top-functioning order. Here are some tips for at-home appliance care:
- Check the Door Seals – Watch for gaps, tears, and build-up.
- Adjust Temperature Settings – Keep fridge between 35 and 40 degrees and the freezer at 0 degrees.
- Clean Drain – Prevent clogs by cleaning in and around the internal drain.
- Replace Water Filter – This should be done once or twice per year, depending on the water quality in your area.
For a more thorough evaluation, North Town Home Services offers a Performance Care Plan to ensure that our customers maintain the functioning quality of their products. Our expert technicians carefully inspect your unit and pinpoint anything that could cause a problem in the future. Preventative maintenance improves performance and increases the lifespan of your appliance.
Refrigerator Repairs in Chicago
If you have noticed one or more of the problems above with your refrigerator, remember—when in doubt, it is always best to call in the professionals for a proper assessment.
Our technicians specialize in high-end appliance brands like Sub-Zero, Viking, Bosch, Dacor and Thermador, however we proudly provide appliance repair for a variety of other brands. To find out if your brand of appliance is under our wide range of expertise, give us a call!
Refrigerator On Its Last Leg?
Call our Chicago Appliance Repair Experts at North Town Home Services at (847) 999-4600 or read more about our services online.