Chicago residents are no strangers to the effects that powerful spring and summer storms can have on their home’s appliances. With seasonal storms already underway, it’s important to take the necessary steps to protect your electronic devices from the damaging impact of power surges and outages.
At North Town Home Services, our team has over 90 years of expertise in keeping Chicago residents’ appliances in the best working condition possible. We’re passing some of our industry knowledge on to you so you can enjoy the summer without the threat of appliance damage lingering over your head!
3 Ways to Protect Your Chicago Home’s Appliances
Lightning is the main culprit behind power surges and outages. Contrary to popular belief, lightning doesn’t need to strike your home directly in order for it to impact your home appliances. Even a strike that’s nearby a local power line can send a surge or outage to your home’s electrical system, which is why it’s imperative that you take the necessary prevention steps:
- Unplug Your Devices: One of the easiest and most effective ways to ensure the health of your home appliances is unplugging them when a storm is imminent. If you receive a severe weather warning in your area, it’s a good idea to unplug devices before the storm hits to prevent a power surge from damaging your appliances.
- Install Surge Protectors: Sometimes a storm sweeps through at the least convenient moment, so you might not be home to unplug your devices when it counts. Not to worry — installing surge protectors in your home will help divert power surges to a ground connection, limiting any damaging voltage that could impact your appliances’ health.
- Whole-home Lightning Protection: To keep your entire home protected at all times, you may want to invest in a whole-home lightning protection system. A licensed electrician will accomplish this by installing a service-entrance surge protector between the electrical meter outside your home and its main service panel.
Even when you take the necessary precautions for preventing a power surge from damaging your appliances, nature may find a way to bypass these protections. When this happens, it’s important to be able to notice the signs of needed appliance repair services in your Chicago home.
When It’s Time to Schedule Appliance Repair in Chi-Town
While a single power outage isn’t enough to damage your appliances, long-term exposure to frequent power surges will deteriorate your systems over time. Most homes in the U.S. use a 120-volt, 60-hertz, single-phase, alternating current to power their electrical system. However, the alternating current allows the voltage to fluctuate between a predetermined rhythm between 0 to a peak voltage of 169 volts. When a power surge happens, the voltage exceeds its peak, which can cause the circuit boards in your appliances to overheat. Continuous overheating can cause serious problems, including:
- Strange noises coming from your devices
- Your appliances start leaking water
- The devices stop performing as expected
- You notice a spike in your energy expenses
- There are sparks or other electrical problems when appliances are turned on or in use
- The appliance won’t turn on
Replacing damaged appliances isn’t always the most financially feasible option. You need a knowledgeable appliance repair technician that’s capable of restoring your system back to working condition for a price you can afford.
North Town Home Services for Expert Appliance Repair
At North Town Home Services, our team has proudly served the unique needs of Chicago homeowners for more than 90 years. We offer the comprehensive appliance repair services that residents need to ensure their systems remain in proper working condition long after the summer storm has cleared. Allow our team to ensure your appliances work the way they should by scheduling appliance repair services with North Town Home Services today!