The holidays are a very busy time for residents in and around the Chicagoland area. Your to-do list is endless. Your mood is festive, if a bit harried. You want to do all you can to create a joyful and memorable holiday experience for friends and loved ones.
North Town Home Services understands your need to make this holiday season memorable for you and your family—in the happiest and most significant way. For nearly a century, North Town Home Services has kept Chicagoans comfortable in their homes and their lives. In order to do so, we provide unparalleled appliance, heating, and cooling services. But we’ve also compiled a list of holiday safety tips to keep you and your family safe all season long.
Holiday Safety Tips
Because the holidays are so very busy, it’s easy to put off appliance and HVAC maintenance and inspections until things quiet down. The hustle and bustle of the holidays can easily become a frenzy of multi-tasking, and much can get overlooked in your jam-packed days.
Unfortunately, the winter holidays can create the perfect storm for mishaps and accidents. Live Christmas trees, candles on the Menorah, festive holiday lights, and some very cold temperatures combine to create hazards you wouldn’t face any other time of the year. Follow these holiday safety tips and reminders so you can enjoy this special time safely and worry-free:
- Test all smoke alarms.
- Never leave stove unattended while cooking.
- Keep your live or fresh tree hydrated and water it daily.
- Keep flammables away from heat source such as space heater or fireplace. Do not hang stockings above a fireplace that’s in use.
- Don’t overload electrical circuits. Watch for repeated tripping of breaker or fuse.
- Inspect all electrical decorations before using. If frayed or worn, dispose of it. Use only certified electrical decorations.
- Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all holiday decorations before leaving your home, or going to sleep. One in five house fires is caused by unattended candles.
- Keep outdoor lights away from metal gutters. Keep connections off the ground.
- Only use lights approved for outdoor use.
- Use insulated tape or plastic hooks to hang your lights. Never use metal tacks or nails.
- Choose the right ladder for the job. Use caution when climbing ladder and make sure to place ladder on safe, stable, non-icy surface. Use the buddy system when ladders are involved.
Importance of Appliance & HVAC Maintenance
The best way to prevent many of the most devastating winter mishaps is by scheduling inspections and maintenance for your home’s appliances and heating system. Your oven is going to get quite a workout this season-more than any other time of year. Have all of your appliances inspected to ensure proper operation. Make sure your vents are working as they should and electrical or gas connections aren’t degraded in any way.
Likewise, have your home’s heating system inspected and seasonal maintenance performed. You certainly don’t want to your furnace to fail when you need it most. Ensure your furnace is working safely and efficiently by scheduling a furnace inspection with North Town Home Services and you’ll weather those cold Chicago nights with peace of mind.
Make Joyful Memories in Chicago This Holiday
Make sure your holidays are memorable for all the right reasons. Follow the safety reminders and tips to protect yourself and your family. Schedule inspections and maintenance on your appliances and home comfort system now and avoid costly repairs and replacements over the winter. For more information on how to keep your home and family safe in the coming weeks and all winter long contact North Town Home Services.