Choking on the summer heat here in Chicago? Take heart, fall is on the horizon! But before the cooler temperatures really hit, you might want to turn your attention to the heating system in your home. Fall presents the perfect opportunity to seek some professional care and maintenance and it can help you be ready to take on anything this winter might throw at us.
Why Is Maintenance So Important?
No matter what blog you look at, you’re always seeing post after post about the importance of maintenance. But why? What’s so critical about maintenance? Well, basically it’s the best way to get everything you want out of your heating and cooling systems. Maintenance improves every aspect of your HVAC system, including:
- Providing better energy-efficiency
- Reducing the risk of breakdowns
- Increasing your system’s lifespan
- Improving air quality within your home
And that note on repair is particularly important. Why is maintenance mentioned more often as a service as opposed to, say, repair? After all, when you need fast and effective repairs, you need to know who to look to. And our experts are among the best!
But the thing is, with routine care, you’ll need a lot less of it. It is an absolute fact that the majority of repairs we handle could have been totally averted if the owner has been getting routine maintenance. Most repairs are just wear and tear, and maintenance limits or alleviates these issues completely!
Why You Need Maintenance in the Fall
There are two seasons most experts consider to be the best times for professional tune-ups and maintenance. Spring and fall. Why? Partly because you’re likely not using the system yet. Fall maintenance ensures your system is at its peak capability and performance before you kick it on for the chilly season. It also averts possible problems.
When that first super chilly night hits, you do not want to find out your system isn’t working properly at that moment. You want the surety that your system can be depended upon when you’re in need of heat and comfort. It’s also just easier to schedule maintenance in the fall, before the peak season hits and most HVAC experts are being swamped by emergency repair calls.
Easy Furnace Maintenance Tips in Chicago
Nothing can replace the services provided by a professional, but there are some things you can (and should) do on your own in preparation for the coming winter:
- Replace your air filter. This is the most important thing you can do for your heating system. Your air filter ensures healthy air flow, ties directly to the efficiency of your heating system, and improves the air quality of your home.
- Clean your outdoor unit. If your heating system makes use of an outdoor unit, make sure it’s clear of leaves, debris, and grass before winter sets in. These bits of junk can constrict air flow, resulting in less efficiency and less quality heating.
- Clear dust. If there is a film of dust on your internal system and the vents, be sure to dust and sweep the area. This not only prevents a fire hazard, but it will eliminate dusty, musty odors and reduce the risk of all of that dust getting into the heating system itself.
Schedule Furnace Maintenance in Chicagoland
Since 1927, North Town Home Services has been providing homes throughout Northern Illinois with the most reliable furnace maintenance available. We are known for our legendary customer service, and we strive to give each and every one of our customers a one-of-a-kind experience.
Contact us online or by phone at 847-999-4600 to schedule furnace maintenance today!