Garbage disposals rank pretty highly on our lists of handy conveniences we really don’t give much thought. That is, until something goes wrong. A malfunctioning garbage disposal is deceptively scary, and movies haven’t made that fear any easier. But before you start rooting around in what is essentially a drain with teeth, the experts at North Town Home Services would urge you to not!
Our team of certified appliance technicians have been proudly serving Chicagoland’s repair and service needs for years. We know well the complications a garbage disposal can encounter, and we’d like to clue you in on those to avoid some unpleasant (or just obnoxious) consequences.
Common Disposal Warning Signs & What to Do About Them
The best way to avoid disposal issues is to ensure it gets routine maintenance and cleaning. But problems can still arise nonetheless, and these are the most common our team sees:
- It’s tripping your breakers. It’s not all that uncommon to experience a slight surge or light flicker when a disposal is engaged. They eat up a lot of wattage, and your home’s electrical responds to that. But if it’s tripping your breakers any time it’s flicked on, there’s either a real issue with the disposal’s wiring or there’s a problem with your breaker box. Either one needs a professional to address!
- It’s doing a bad job. Is your disposal prone to clogs or just not chewing up messes like it used to? First off, be sure you’re not trying to stuff things in there that shouldn’t be. Fibrous foods like celery can bind the blades, causing a choke and burning out the disposal, and likewise grease and fatty objects can gunk up the blades. If you must dispose of these in this way, do it in very small batches at a time—and always run water while doing so.
- It makes loud or startling noises. The sound of metal on metal is a jarring one, and if it happens you will take notice. If you hear a loud grind or rapid click from your disposal, the odds are good that you’ve got some loose or damaged parts. This needs immediate garbage disposal service, because not only does it eventually lead to a completely junked disposal, it’s very unsafe as well.
- There’s a funky smell in there you can’t get rid of. Persistent odors are one of the most frustrating things to deal with in a home. And sometimes, your disposal can make things even worse. If you’ve got a really persistent stink coming from the disposal, you probably have a clog deep in the line, and you’ll need an expert to come out and address it.
- It has a leak. Leaks from a disposal can range pretty wildly in severity. Cracks in pipe seals are a simple enough repair, but a crack in the disposal itself will necessitate a total replacement. If you spot signs of standing water or see some water damage on your floors or cabinets (dark spots, excessive moisture, mold accumulation, etc.), then you need to give your preferred experts a call.
- It’s just not working at all. It’s a fairly clear sign that when you flick the switch and nothing happens, you need an expert. The good news is that many of the issues you could be having are easy fixes, though, so don’t put off service hoping to avoid a costly replacement. The problem could be super simple, and you’d just be robbing yourself of this handy appliance’s function.
The Best Choice for Your Garbage Disposal Services in Chicago, IL
Since 1927, North Town Home Services has been providing homes throughout the Chicagoland area with the most reliable garbage disposal repair and maintenance services available. We are known for our legendary customer service, and we strive to give each and every one of our customers a one-of-a-kind experience.
We never hire subcontractors—our staff is made up of only highly-trained, full-time technicians. Our trucks are fully stocked with garbage disposal repair parts and equipment to ensure we can get your appliances up and running in one visit.