Are Your Appliances Ready For the Holidays?
As the holiday season approaches once again, thoughts turn to friends, family, and big meals served around a loud table full of people. While you may not be looking forward to all the shopping, chopping, basting, sauteing, peeling, and seasoning required to achieve this quaint scenario, it’s all part of the deal. And as you prepare for the holidays, be sure to establish whether or not your appliances are ready for the holidays, too.
What Can Go Wrong—and How to Avoid Problems
Almost everyone has watched a sitcom or movie about a holiday with disastrous consequences. One where the turkey falls on the floor or is eaten by the dog, or where the host forgets to turn on the oven and has nothing to serve. Comedy, however, is in the eye of the beholder, and what is hilarious on the big screen isn’t so funny in real life. Each of the major appliances in your kitchen serves an important purpose, and when one or more underperforms or chooses the night before you’re hosting dinner for 24 people to go on the fritz, results can range from mildly inconvenient to “Let’s call for takeout.”.
Appliance Maintenance Checklist
There are a number of steps that you, as the homeowner, can take to ensure the safe, efficient, and reliable operation of your kitchen appliances, while others are best left to the professionals at North Town Home Services. Here is a checklist for each of the major appliances in one of the most important rooms in your home.
- Check the temperature. An improperly calibrated oven can wreak havoc on your holiday meals. Purchase an inexpensive oven thermometer, place it inside the oven, and turn the unit on. After 15 minutes check to see if the two readings match. In the event that the temperature varies by more than a few degrees, call North Town Home Services for repair.
- Keep it clean. A dirty oven can cause unpleasant odors, smoke, and present a fire hazard. Take some time leading up to your holiday preparations to set the oven to self clean and start fresh.
- Schedule routine maintenance. Regular, preventive maintenance is the key to protecting your investment, enhancing performance, and preventing breakdowns.
- Wipe it down. Place a bowl of water with a few slices of lemon in your microwave, and turn on high for two minutes. Wipe down with a clean cloth and rinse, to leave this appliance clean and ready for company.
- Get it checked. A system check prior to the holidays is the best way to ensure efficient, reliable performance.
- Check the water filter. Filters should be changed every six months on average.
- Play toss or keep. Remove all contents and wipe down shelves and drawers, tossing expired items before refilling the fridge with great holiday food.
- Check the temperature. Use an appliance thermometer to record the interior temperature, making sure it is 40 degrees or lower to prevent the growth of bacteria, which can cause your guests and family to become ill.
- Don’t overload. Leave adequate room between dishes to allow detergent and water to reach your items.
- Call for service. This is one kitchen appliance you can’t afford to be without during the holidays; call North Town Home Services to have the unit cleaned and inspected or for any necessary repairs.
Appliance Repair & Maintenance in Chicago, Illinois
You may not realize how much you rely on your home’s appliance to go about your daily tasks, until the dreaded day that one of your appliances stops working. Instead of purchasing a completely new system, turn to the trusted appliance repair experts at North Town Home Services. Our team has experience repair refrigerators, dishwashers, ovens, and more from brands like Sub-Zero, Dacor, and Viking! We will get your home back in working order so you can go about your daily routine.
For unparalleled appliance repair in the Chicago, Illinois area, contact North Town Home Services by calling us at 847-999-4600!